Power-Up Pee Dee Grant Explained
Power Up- Pee Dee is a grant from the Department of Labor that is designed to sponsor citizens in training programs that will prepare them for occupations related to the electric power industry. The grant will pay for eligible individuals to attend either Northeastern Tech or Florence-Darlington Tech and enroll in the “Power Up- Pee Dee” programs.
The goal of the grant is to effectively meet the training needs in the Pee Dee region and to provide highly skilled employees for the energy industry. However, the skills obtained from this program can easily be transferred to any industry. Northeastern Technical College and Florence-Darlington Technical College are collaborating in this effort to provide these educational opportunities through a variety of training programs that will support both the regional and local economic development plans.
To be eligible, a person must meet the following requirements:
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must reside in one of the 6 counties in the Pee Dee region—Dillon, Marlboro, Darlington, Chesterfield, Marion, Florence
• Must be a US citizen or legal alien
• Must be classified in one of the following categories:
• Unemployed- Individuals who are without a job and who want and are available to work.
• Dislocated Worker- Individuals who have been terminated or laid-off or have received a notice of termination or lay-off from employment; or were self employed but are now unemployed.
• Incumbent Worker-Individuals who are currently working who need training to secure full-time employment, advance in their careers, or retain their current occupations. This includes low-wage workers, workers who need to upgrade their skills to retain employment, and workers who are currently working part-time.
• The programs that will be offered are as follows: Basic Welder, Pipe Welder, Pipe Fitter, Valve Technician, Electrician, Industrial Maintenance Technician, Electrical Maintenance Technician, Mechanical Maintenance Technician, HVAC Technician, Heavy Equipment Operator, Lineman, Power Plant Operator, Nuclear Power Plant Operator, Turbine Power Plant Operator, OSHA Safety (*The programs will be offered based on student demand and available classroom or lab space. Please, check all locations for program availability)
For more information, contact: Northeastern Technical College, 1201 Chesterfield Hwy, Cheraw; Mrs. Sherrie Chapman, Dean of Continuing Education (Cheraw) – Ph: (843)-921-6922,Mrs. Bonnie Fore, Case Manager (Dillon)- Ph: (843)-921-6998; Florence-Darlington Technical College,2715 West Lucas Street, Florence, Mrs. Kathy Stroud, Program Director (Florence)- Ph: 843-661-8391, Mrs. Debbie Jackson, Case Manager (Florence)- Ph: 843-661-8334 or Dillon County Economic Development Board,211 W. Hampton Street, Dillon, Tonny McNeil, Executive Director (Dillon)- Ph: 843-845-7680.
All participants must submit a two-page application provided by the resources. They encourage everyone to take advantage of this opportunity! You are well on your way to higher skills and a higher paying job!!!! They hope to hear from you soon.