Recipes from “Eating Healthy On A Budget” video
Spaghetti with Turkey Meat Sauce
For 1 cup sauce and pasta:
Sodium: 315 mg
1lb. ground turkey (85% lean)
28 ounces can petite-diced tomatoes
1 finely chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
*1lb. of spaghetti
• Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
• Preheat over high heat.
• Add ground turkey. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
• Drain fat.
• Stir in tomatoes with their juice, onion, garlic, and oregano.
• Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
• Remove cover, simmering 15 minutes longer.
• For spaghetti, cook spaghetti (*try Mueller’s Hidden Veggie Spaghetti as used in Cooking Demo video) according to package directions; drain well. Serve sauté over spaghetti.
Top off with low or no fat parmesan cheese if desired.
Adapted from Healthy Heart & Soul Recipe Book by It’s Your Health…Take Charge!, SC DHEC, 02/2015
1 lb. ground turkey
1 tsp. ground curry powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
8-12 flour tortillas
• Brown turkey in preheated skilled sprayed with cooking spray.
• Sprinkle curry powder and cinnamon over the turkey while cooking.
• Cook 5-8 minutes, until cooked through.
• Drain off the fat.
• Place tortillas (in a stack) on a plate between 2 damp paper towels and microwave on high for 1 minute.
• Fill tortillas with turkey and top with any of the following: sliced or cubed avocado, salsa, low fat sour cream, low fat Mexican blend cheese, cilantro.
1 lb. ground turkey
1 14.5 oz. can petite-diced tomatoes
2 8-oz. cans tomato sauce
1 15.5 oz. can kidney beans, drained
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped find
2 tbsp. chili powder or to taste
1 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
• Sauté the onion in olive oil over low heat for 1-2 minutes.
• Add turkey, salt, and pepper and brown.
• Add garlic, tomatoes with juice, and tomato sauce.
• Stir to incorporate and bring to a boil.
• Add kidney beans and chili powder.
• Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 25-30 min.
• Top with low fat sour cream and/or low fat shredded cheese.