Senator Informs Public Of Lesser Known Legislation

By Senator Kent Williams
I would like to take a moment to let you know about legislation that was enacted this session that you may not have heard about. H3374 gives the Department of Natural Resources the authority to execute a compact with other states and to perform all acts to carry out the agreement. The compact will allow South Carolina residents as well as other participating state residents, to be treated as residents, when wildlife violations occur in that particular state.

Another piece of legislation, H3278, provides that until June 30, 2011 there will be no restrictions on the types of applicants or organizations that may apply for a special fifteen-day beer and wine permit if the applicant meets all other requirements of law as determined by the Department of Revenue. This will provide a temporary and immediate correction until the General Assembly has an opportunity to approve a permanent law change to correct an inadvertent 2010 enactment restricting the issuance of special fifteen-day beer and wine sales permits to nonprofit organizations alone.

Another piece of legislation, H3286 revises the method for calculating certain funding indicators to allow South Carolinians to take full advantage of federally funded extensions in unemployment benefits. The legislation also provides for the establishment of a separate Department of Employment and Workforce interest assessment fund.

It is an honor to serve you in Columbia, and I am grateful for your continued support. As with all matters concerning state government, I want to hear your opinions and suggestions concerning these issues. Please contact me in my Columbia office located at 602 Gressette Office Building. You can reach me, or a member of my staff in Columbia at (803) 212-6008 or by fax at (803) 212-6011. My district office is located at 137 Airport Road, Suite J, Mullins, SC 29574, the phone number is (843) 423-8237 and the fax number is (843) 431-6049. You may also email me at [email protected]

As always, I also want to supply you with my business phone number so that you will able to reach me easily at any time. My business phone is (843) 423-3904. Please use this information to write, call or email me with your suggestions and concerns regarding issues before the Senate and in our community.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email